Testicular pain is pain that occurs in or around one or both testicles. Sometimes the pain originates from somewhere else in the groin or abdomen, and is felt in one or both testicles - referred pain.

testicular pain


With more severe pain, you’ll need to seek treatment from your doctor. Your doctor will complete a physical exam of your abdomen, groin, and scrotum to determine what’s causing your pain and will also ask you about your current health conditions and any other symptoms. To accurately diagnose your condition, your doctor may need to order additional tests, including:

  • An ultrasound, which is a type of imaging test, of the testicles and scrotal sac
  • A urinalysis
  • Urine cultures
  • An examination of secretions from the prostate, which requires a rectal exam


We recommend seeing a specialist if any of the following symptoms arise:

  • You feel a lump on your scrotum
  • You develop a fever
  • Your scrotum is red, warm to the touch, or tender
  • You’ve recently been in contact with someone who has the mumps
  • You should seek emergency medical attention if your testicular pain:
  • Is sudden or severe
  • Occurs along with nausea or vomiting
  • Is caused by an injury that’s painful or if swelling occurs after one hour


It is important to diagnose the source to then treat the root cause. The treatment may include:

  • Antibiotics to treat an infection
  • Surgery to untwist the testicle if you have testicular torsion
  • A surgical evaluation for potential correction of an undescended testicle
  • Pain medications
  • Surgery to reduce fluid accumulation in the testicles


Get in Touch

Use the secure form to send a message regarding any concerns you may have. Should you have any information regarding a referral from a GP please also include this and we will be in touch with next steps.

18 Devonshire Street, London W1G 7AF

We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience. For more information, please see our privacy policy.